2011 Art In April Fest. to hold scholarship contestApr 8th, 2011 | By Terri Sercovich | Category: School News
The Art in April Festival Committee is pleased to announce their 2011 scholarship process. Each year the committee awards four scholarships to qualified high school seniors who will be continuing their education in the arts. Winners will be awarded a one time scholarship of $1,000 to be sent directly to the college or university.
Requirements for high school seniors:
1. The student must be a graduating senior and a resident of St. Bernard Parish.
2. The student must be attending an institution beyond the high school level to study Fine Arts.
3. The student must graduate from high school with no less than the minimum GPA required to receive a diploma.
4. Financial status need not be disclosed.
5. Student art work is for display only.
6. Winning students must attend the 2011 Art in April Festival on Saturday, April 16 at 1:30pm to receive their scholarship on stage.
7. Students are responsible for picking up their art work Saturday, April 16 from the Festival.
To apply for the scholarship:
1. All seniors meeting the above requirements will be eligible to submit an application and art work to the Festival Committee on Friday, April 15 from 3 – 4:30 p.m. in the lobby of the Cultural Arts Center at Chalmette High School.
2. Students must write a one page summary of their reason for applying and their college intention. Included in the summary should also be their name, address, phone number, e-mail address and school name.
3. Paintings should be properly matted and framed with screw eyes and wire. Sculptures should be free standing or able to be displayed on a regular sized table.
4. Students must bring the application, summary and at least one but not more than three pieces of art work to be judged. Art work must be displayed at the Fine Arts Festival.
Scholarship applications are available at the St. Bernard Parish School Board Office, 200 E. St. Bernard Hwy., Chalmette or the St. Bernard Parish Office of Tourism, Aycock St., Old Arabi.
If anyone has additional questions about the contest, please call: Charles Cassar, Cultural Arts Director, 301.2000; Gidget McDougall, Tourism Director, 278.4242.