St. Bernard flushes water system after child’s deathSep 16th, 2013 | By Candace Griffin | Category: News
The Parish has recently taken precautionary steps to flush out it’s water system and add safe amounts of chlorine after the Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH) confirmed last Thursday that a four-year-old boy contracted, and died from, a water-born brain-eating amoeba while visiting the parish.
“After notification from our state and federal partners regarding this matter, we conducted immediate and exhaustive testing of the entire water supply of St. Bernard Parish,” said Parish President Dave Peralta. “The [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s] testing detected no evidence of the parasite, however out of abundance of caution, steps were taken immediately to continue to ensure a safe water supply in St. Bernard Parish. We the water supply.”
Though the current test results show that the water is safe, DHH will be conducting additional tests—the results of which could take up to a month to be determined.
“We are working with the parish to make sure precautionary measures are being taken while we await additional test results on samples taken from the area’s water system,” said J.T. Lane, Assistant Secretary for Public Health.
Naegleria fowleri causes a disease called Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM), a brain infection that leads to the destruction of brain tissue, but is only harmful when it enters the body through one’s nasal passages. In its early stages, symptoms of PAM may be similar to symptoms of bacterial meningitis. It is usually contracted in lakes and rivers, but in extremely rare cases can be contracted in other areas.